- Category: Australian Dollar Articles
- Published on Monday, 21 January 2013 10:20
- Written by Sam Coventry
The pound vs Australian dollar exchange rate is unchanged on Friday's closing rate at 1.5093.
The euro vs Aussie is 0.14 pct down at 1.2655.
Against the US dollar the Australian currency is 0.14 pct higher at 1.0525.
Please be aware that these are spot market rates; banks will charge a spread on the rate at their discretion. An independent provider is able to deliver the best possible rates by negotiating on the spread thus delivering the best possible exchange rates.
NZD could be preferred to AUD in commodity currency space
A commodity currency is one that is deemed to be driven by flows in the commodity market; Australia's massive mining sector is key in this estimation. Other currencies that fall in this bracket are the NZD, CAD and ZAR.
|Live Charts and
Aus Exchange Rates
According to analysis released this morning by Lloyds Bank notes how the AUD continues to trade with a soft tone, and further weakness could be expected:
"We maintain the view that if AUD yields drop further it may lose its status as the preferred commodity currency among the majors, with the CAD and NZD potentially being preferred. Q4 CPI released on Wednesday will be a focus ahead of the RBA meeting on 5th Feb. Market is expecting inflation to rise to 2.4% y/y, which should help reduce market expectations of RBA rate cuts which would be AUD supportive."
Bank of Japan will be of importance to AUD
According to Caxton FX the aussie dollar will take further guidance from the Bank of Japan’s monetary policy decision.
"The coming overnight session will see the Bank of Japan announce its next move as far as monetary policy is concerned. The market is already expecting pretty aggressive monetary easing measures, so the AUD may not benefit quite as much as you might think," says Richard Driver at Caxton FX.
Tuesday night also brings a key quarterly Australian inflation reading, which is likely to be weak. We should see speculation surrounding another RBA rate cut intensify.
Related: Pound / Aus Dollar
- Australian dollar under the cosh as iron ore prices slump; New Zealand dollar continues to enjoy benefits of buoyant dairy industry
- Pound sterling down versus Australian and New Zealand dollar's today; but 'weakening AUD drivers remain in place'
- Outlook for the Australian dollar likely to be driven by expectations over interest rate cuts at the Reserve Bank of Australia
Latest on The Economy News
- Heritage Oil PLC + XCITE ENERGY LIMITED: HOIL Updates on Tax Position, XEL Fails to Impress Investors Latest Update
- Thomas Cook Group plc: TCG Faces Conflicting Signals on the Charts
- Tech Alert on Gulf Keystone Petroleum Limited: For GKP "This bearish signal indicates that the stock price may fall"
- Imagination Technologies Group plc backed by Intel Corporation Backing: Why IMG is a Buy
- ARM Holdings plc vs Intel Corporation: Sell Rating on ARM Confirmed as INTC Launch XMM 7260
- HSBC Holdings plc: HSBA shows "little in the chart to suggest that a sudden push higher is imminent"
- Vodafone Group plc: VOD Outlook Adjusted to Factor in New Share Count