Australian dollar remains vulnerable; AUD lower as capacity utilisation and business conditions numbers disappoint
- Category: Australian Dollar Articles
- Published on Tuesday, 12 February 2013 11:37
- Written by Will Peters
The pound / Australian dollar exchange rate is 0.3 pct higher at 1.5227. "Other currencies are making decent gains against an increasingly vulnerable AUD but the best sterling can do is edge higher, which is a marker of its own weak performance," comments Richard Driver of Caxton FX.
The euro / Australian dollar exchange rate is 0.42 pct higher at 1.3129.
The Australian dollar / US dollar exchange rate is 0.11 pct down at 1.0244.
Please be aware: These are spot market quotes to which your bank will add their own discretionary spread; this is the skewed exchange rate that we are all so familiar with. It must be noted that independent forex providers are however able to undercut your bank's offer, thus delivering you more currency at an exchange rate that is closer to the actual market rate. Please see more here.
Australian business conditions prove unhelpful to AUD
NAB business conditions rose slightly in January, but remained below their long-term average.
|Live Charts and
Aus Exchange Rates
"The improvement in conditions was driven by a pick-up in the trading and profitability components. This was partially offset, however, by a sharp fall in the employment component, which is signalling a further deterioration in labour market conditions in the coming months," says a comment on the matter from ANZ Bank.
Australian economy has more to give
Also pressuring the Australian dollar bulls was news that capacity utilisation – a useful proxy for the output gap – declined to its lowest level since July 2001, and below lows recorded during the global financial crisis.
Most of the decline, however, appears a little ‘rogue’ given that it was concentrated in just one industry - recreation and personal services.
"While some bounce back might be expected next month, capacity utilisation remains low and suggests that plenty of spare capacity remains in the economy," say ANZ Bank.
New Zealand dollar advances vs GBP
Another rough session for sterling saw GBP/NZD pair head lower once again.
"The kiwi dollar weathered news of North Korean nuclear testing pretty well, developments like this can often spook investors and weigh on demand for riskier currencies like the NZD," says Driver, "this pair is trading at 1.87 and further losses cannot be discounted after that failed attempt at 1.90."
Related: Pound / Aus Dollar
- Australian dollar under the cosh as iron ore prices slump; New Zealand dollar continues to enjoy benefits of buoyant dairy industry
- Pound sterling down versus Australian and New Zealand dollar's today; but 'weakening AUD drivers remain in place'
- Outlook for the Australian dollar likely to be driven by expectations over interest rate cuts at the Reserve Bank of Australia
Latest on The Economy News
- Heritage Oil PLC + XCITE ENERGY LIMITED: HOIL Updates on Tax Position, XEL Fails to Impress Investors Latest Update
- Thomas Cook Group plc: TCG Faces Conflicting Signals on the Charts
- Tech Alert on Gulf Keystone Petroleum Limited: For GKP "This bearish signal indicates that the stock price may fall"
- Imagination Technologies Group plc backed by Intel Corporation Backing: Why IMG is a Buy
- ARM Holdings plc vs Intel Corporation: Sell Rating on ARM Confirmed as INTC Launch XMM 7260
- HSBC Holdings plc: HSBA shows "little in the chart to suggest that a sudden push higher is imminent"
- Vodafone Group plc: VOD Outlook Adjusted to Factor in New Share Count