Australian Dollar Outlook deteriorates as China disappoints; AUD under pressure right across the board
- Category: Australian Dollar Articles
- Published on Thursday, 23 May 2013 07:32
- Written by Will Peters
The Australian dollar has taken a heavy blow in Thursday trade; the currency was looking vulnerable already ahead of a poor showing from the Chinese manufacturing sector.
A look at the latest Australian dollar (Currency:AUD) spot rates shows the currency to be universally under pressure:
The pound to Australian dollar exchange rate is 0.62 pct higher at 1.5614.
The euro to Australian dollar is 0.7 pct higher at 1.3352.
The Australian dollar to US dollar exchange rate is 0.64 pct higher at 0.9637.
(It is important to keep in mind that the above quotes are taken from the wholesale markets, your bank will affix their own discretionary spread. However, an independent provider will guarantee to undercut your bank's offer, thus delivering you more currency. Please find out more here.)
"The Chinese PMI data came out at 49.6, down from the April final reading of 50.4 and below consensus. The new orders sub-component fell below the 50 boom/bust level at 49.5, while the employment component also showed contraction at 49.0. Chinese equities have remained flat though; sometimes it’s just incredible how this market dances to its own beat," says Chris Weston, IG Analyst in Melbourne.
Lloyds Bank, in a morning foreign currency strategy note say the outlook for the Australian dollar appears to be bearish:
"Both AUD and NZD have suffered from the recent USD strength of late, but AUD has been more vulnerable to USD gains. AUD/USD traded to the lowest level since mid 2012 overnight – further weighed by the weaker China data.
"While AUD may well continue to underperform NZD, AUD/NZD has struggled to gain much downside momentum, struggling around the 1.20 level.
"The relative rate spreads suggests some scope for a move lower (chart 1 on page 2) but for now the 2009 low of 1.1934 should provide decent support."
Related: Pound / Aus Dollar
- Australian dollar under the cosh as iron ore prices slump; New Zealand dollar continues to enjoy benefits of buoyant dairy industry
- Pound sterling down versus Australian and New Zealand dollar's today; but 'weakening AUD drivers remain in place'
- Outlook for the Australian dollar likely to be driven by expectations over interest rate cuts at the Reserve Bank of Australia
Latest on The Economy News
- UK IT education is Failing British Students
- Pound euro exchange rate: GBP/EUR Solidifies Ground Above 1.18; BUT Beware EUR Comeback
- Pound sterling vs Australian and New Zealand dollars: GBP continues to be battered by NZD, temporary relief vs AUD
- Euro exchange rate today: Inflation data fails to provide the impetus for EUR to recover vs USD and GBP
- Pound euro exchange rate (GBP/EUR): Lloyds Bank Research forecast further gains for GBP as employment data improves
- Aus dollar trades with fresh menace; are we going to see further gains ahead?
- Euro forecasted to slump against Australian dollar by UniCredit Bank