Live: The Pound / Australian Dollar Exchange Rate Chart
Live: The Pound / Australian Dollar Exchange Rate Chart - This is the spot market rate, for the best possible retail market quote please enquire with our partner here
Latest Pound to Australian Dollar Exchange Rate News
- Pound / Australian dollar FX rate at critical juncture: GBP hit by inflation data, AUD outlook hampered by 'dovish' RBA minutes
- Australian dollar outlook: RBA minutes marginally beneficial to AUD, forecasters at UniCredit say currency to remain week
- Australian dollar weakness forecasted yet lower by technical analyst; RBA decision will however be key event-risk on the horizon
- Australian dollar / New Zealand dollar in morning profit-taking strength; broader environment remains bearish, RBA minutes ahead
- Australian and New Zealand dollar outlook determined by Chinese data, RBA easing bias will be critical
- Pound sterling climbs to fresh highs versus Australian and New Zealand dollars; long-suffering AUD buyers will consider dipping their toes into FX waters
- FX: Australian dollar + New Zealand dollar take a hammering against the likes of the sterling, euro and US dollar
- The pound sterling is 0.33 pct up versus the Australian dollar; GBP/AUD is at 1.5433 at 10:23.
- Australian and New Zealand dollar in return to form sending the British pound sterling sharply lower in morning trade
- Pound sterling on front-foot against vulnerable Australian and New Zealand dollars
- Australian dollar enjoys strong bounce as analysts forecast the end of unrivalled strength
- Australian dollar strength no longer justified say Lloyds Bank forecasting increased weakness ahead
- Australian dollar + New Zealand dollar firm up but forecasters see further losses ahead, GBP/NZD reaches three month high
- Australian dollar: BMO Capital markets 'loath' to readjust their short term forecasts for AUD despite today's slump
- Australian dollar 0.8 pct in the red versus the pound sterling and US dollar as RBA interest rate comes earlier than forecast
Australian Dollar | Latest Australian Dollar Exchange Rate News and Live Chart
UK unemployment figures cement strong advances for Pound to Australian dollar exchange rate, 1.5 is a whisker away
- Category: Australian Dollar
- Published on Wednesday, 14 March 2012 10:34
- Written by Will Peters
The pound to Australian dollar exchange rate is 0.5% higher on yesterday's close at 1.4972. Recent gains by sterling mean that the psychologically significant level of 1.5 is a whisker away.
The pound to New Zealand dollar exchange rate is a full 0.98% for the better, the GBP-NZD is at 1.9299
Backing the pound sterling against the Aussie dollar this morning was news that UK unemployment has increased at its fastest pace in over a year, shoring up consensus that the UK economy is improving.
Advertisement - Article Continues Below
UK unemployment rose by 28,000 to 2.67 million during the three months to January, according to figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS).
Sterling is trading very positively indeed against the Australian dollar (Currency:AUD) and looks likely to test the 1.50 level today.
"It is difficult to isolate what is driving sterling on so hard this morning. There has been big Japanese name buying sterling against the yen in order to fund a major M&A deal, which seems to be helping GBP across the board," says Richard Driver, FX analysts with Caxton Fx.
There was yet more bad news from the Australian economy, which really is going through a soft patch at present. A consumer sentiment survey was poor and quarterly housing starts data remained on its downtrend.
Sterling is on the front foot against the New Zealand dollar, which hasn’t been helped by a more upbeat US Federal Reserve statement.
US economic improvement was positive for the New Zealand dollar for much of last year as it provided a boost to risk appetite.
"However, the uptrend is now weighing on the likelihood of the Fed deciding on further quantitative easing and represents a negative factor for the kiwi dollar. Asian stocks performed well last night, so the kiwi’s downside was limited.
"Sterling’s had an excellent morning and this pair is now trading just below 1.93, there is room for further gains," says Driver.