Live: The Pound / Australian Dollar Exchange Rate Chart
Live: The Pound / Australian Dollar Exchange Rate Chart - This is the spot market rate, for the best possible retail market quote please enquire with our partner here
Latest Pound to Australian Dollar Exchange Rate News
- Pound sterling climbs to fresh highs versus Australian and New Zealand dollars; long-suffering AUD buyers will consider dipping their toes into FX waters
- FX: Australian dollar + New Zealand dollar take a hammering against the likes of the sterling, euro and US dollar
- The pound sterling is 0.33 pct up versus the Australian dollar; GBP/AUD is at 1.5433 at 10:23.
- Australian and New Zealand dollar in return to form sending the British pound sterling sharply lower in morning trade
- Pound sterling on front-foot against vulnerable Australian and New Zealand dollars
- Australian dollar enjoys strong bounce as analysts forecast the end of unrivalled strength
- Australian dollar strength no longer justified say Lloyds Bank forecasting increased weakness ahead
- Australian dollar + New Zealand dollar firm up but forecasters see further losses ahead, GBP/NZD reaches three month high
- Australian dollar: BMO Capital markets 'loath' to readjust their short term forecasts for AUD despite today's slump
- Australian dollar 0.8 pct in the red versus the pound sterling and US dollar as RBA interest rate comes earlier than forecast
- Pound sterling and euro make strong advances against significantly weaker Australian dollar
- Pound sterling vs Australian and New Zealand dollar: GBP heads above 1.5 vs AUD, Chinese manufacturing PMI to dictate direction of both AUD and NZD this week
- Pound sterling flirting with 1.5 against the Australian dollar once more but this level will prove to be a significant point of resistance for further gains
- Australian dollar + Japanese Yen: Currencies react to news of possible S&P downgrades
- Australian dollar + New Zealand dollar overvalued - But both currencies continue to trade in robust fashion today
Australian Dollar | Latest Australian Dollar Exchange Rate News and Live Chart
- Category: Australian Dollar
- Published on Wednesday, 30 May 2012 08:50
- Written by Sam Coventry
- The latest investment bank FX Forecasts are at our International Money Transfer forecasts page, access is Free via the Facebook gateway here
The Australian dollar (Currency:AUD) is sharply lower against a number of key currencies this morning.
The pound is up against the Australian dollar by 0.38 pct, GBP-AUD is at 15939 at 9:40 BST.
The Australian dollar is 0.77 pct lower against the US dollar, AUD-USD is at 0.9772.
The reversal in sentiment on the global currency markets overnight serves to show just how vulnerable the Australian dollar is to negative sentiment.
Indeed, the entire commodity sector - and those sectors related to commodities - have had a poor few weeks.
Investors Intelligence have this morning sought to find out whether the sector will recover.
A note to clients this morning reads:
"Mining currencies are also under severe pressure. For example, the Aussie Dollar has been sinking like a stone since early March.
"The AUD pair slumped from 1.08 to 0.98. It dropped further today on bearish retail sales.
"In other words, there are many question marks on whether the commodity-complex can reproduce the type of returns seen during 2001-2011.
In my opinion, the answer is no."
Investors Intelligence offer the following reasons as to why the sector is unlikely to recover:
In 2001 the entire mining/commodity sector was fairly depressed and relatively cheap. Now, the picture is totally different.
Bull markets seldom last more than 10 years without experiencing major shakeouts.
The fundamentals behind the mining/commodity sectors are changing. Recall that during the 2001-2011 period the global economy experienced a period of 'goldilocks',during 2003-2007 again, and a massive reflation following the crisis (2009-2010). Now, these factors are missing.