Live: The Pound / Euro Exchange Rate Chart
Live: The Pound / Euro Exchange Rate Chart - This is the spot market rate, for the best possible retail market quote please enquire with our partner here
Latest Pound to Euro Exchange Rate News
- Euro pound exchange rate (EUR/GBP) in the red; however RBS forecast continued GBP weakness ahead while EUR is expected to appreciate
- Pound to euro exchange rate advances as French consumer confidence numbers hit EUR; analysts see little chance of a major GBP-EUR appreciation however
- Outlook: Pound euro exchange rate forecasted to end week in the red; Should GBP be putting in a better performance against the EUR?
- FX Alert: Pound sterling forecasted to rebound against US dollar say Lloyds Bank in strategic currency note
- Pound euro exchange rate knocking on the door of 1.16; UK GDP update, Bank of England, UK retail sales all fail to provide a lift
- Outlook for Euro pound exchange rate: EUR forecasted to stage strong advances agains the pound sterling through the remainder of 2013
- Pound to euro exchange rate (GBP/EUR) forecast: Momentum suggests further declines, but one analyst is tipping a return to 1.18 level
- Pound euro exchange rate breaks into 1.16 territory as UK retail sales flop in April and Mark Carney hints at monetary activism
- Euro pound exchange rate (EUR-GBP) finally breaks the shackles and surges; investors forecasting light inflation for longer
- Pound euro exchange rate takes a hit: GBP/EUR breaks into 1.17s as UK inflation data is weaker than forecast
- Pound to euro exchange rate faces a week that is 'anything but trivial' (UK CPI, retail sales and BoE Minutes all due)
- Pound to euro exchange rate at 1.19? You may be disappointed - buyers of EUR urged to be patient
- Euro pound exchange rate (EUR-GBP) in tight range but technical indicators point to a further slump in value of EUR
- Pound euro exchange rate looks to consolidate mid 1.18's but the euro will likely prove resistant to any major moves
- Pound euro exchange rate firmly stuck in mid 1.18s, stalemate forecast to continue for today
Pound to Euro | Pound Euro Exchange Rate News and Insights
Pound euro exchange rate could become vulnerable to as markets begin to question the safe haven status of GBP
- Category: Pound to Euro
- Published on Friday, 27 July 2012 09:38
- Written by Sam Coventry
"The option market does seem to be suggesting that the potential downside in EUR-GBP may now be more limited" BofA Merrill Lynch Global Research.
This morning we see the pound to euro is making a strong comeback - the pairing is 0.2 pct higher on a day-by-day basis at 1.2791 at 10:18 AM in London.
UBS this morning advise that they remain bearish on the euro, concerning the EUR-GBP the bank says "Key resistance is at 0.7885, as long as this holds – look for a move to 0.7755 and then 0.7693. A break above 0.7885 would open 0.7925."
However, an analysis from Bank of America Merrill Lynch warns that the tail risk premium has declined in EUR-GBP, "suggesting that the market may be beginning to question the safe haven status of GBP. Hence the potential downside in EUR-GBP may be limited from current levels."
The basis of this view comes from an analysis of volumes in the options market.
BofA Merrill Lynch Global Research say:
"The tail risk premium for USD calls corrected higher this week, as the widening spreads for Spanish bonds weighed on the Euro.
"However, this increase in tail risk did not occur in EUR crosses. In particular, the premium for EUR-GBP puts relative to calls continued its recent decline.
"This may reflect positioning in the pair to some extent, but also may reflect a reduction in the perceived safe haven status of GBP.
"While we would not interpret this as an indication that EUR-GBP is likely to trade higher, the option market does seem to be suggesting that the potential downside in EUR-GBP may now be more limited."