Barclays plc, Lloyds Banking Group plc: Short term forecasts for LLOY and BARC stock show differing fortunes
- Category: Share Price Drivers
- Published on Thursday, 07 February 2013 09:13
- Written by Will Peters
The picture for BARC in the near term is more constructive than fellow bank Lloyds with the upside forecast to prevail should 245 is not broken lower.
Trading Central say they favour an upmove with 311 and then 338 as next targets, "the ascending 50-day moving average suggests that the stock still has potential for a rise."
Is Lloyds Banking Group plc at the end of a multi-month rally, or is this the consolidation phase before the next leg up?
Analysts at Trading Central say they are bearish in the short-term; should LLOY remain below a pivot at 54 then a move towards 46.75 is possible.
Trading Central do however note that, "the MACD is positive and below its signal line. The MACD must penetrate its zero line to expect further downside."
The bank's New York listed stock - NYSE:LYG - is under similar short-term pressures with key resistance at 3.41 and analyst saying they are targeting 2.95.
"The RSI is below its neutrality area at 50. The MACD is positive and below its signal line. The MACD must penetrate its zero line to expect further downside. Moreover, the stock is below its 20 day MA (3.37) but above its 50 day MA (3.17)," say Trading Central.
Markets open flat - busy day ahead on the data front
The FTSE 100 flat to slightly higher this morning as markets focus on domestic and European matters with a full economic diary. It kicks off with UK manufacturing and industrial production plus trade balance figures, incoming Bank of England Governor Mark Carney's first appearance in front of the Treasury Select Committee and day 1 of the European Economic Summit.
This is followed at midday by the Bank of England interest rate statement which is expected to leave the rate unchanged, the ECB meeting outcome and press conference together with the latest US weekly jobless claims. Any comments from the ECB President will be noted with interest against the backdrop of the ongoing European political tensions.
Commodity prices are mixed but trading within narrow ranges and on the foreign exchanges, sterling is up slightly against the dollar and down against the euro ahead of this raft of news.
Pintrest valued at a hefty 1.5 BN USD
The online scrapbooking start-up behind one of the internet’s fastest-growing websites is seeking new funding that would value the company at up to $2.5 billion — despite not yet having worked out how to make money. The astronomical valuation of Pinterest is based on the belief held by the two-year-old company and its investors that it can transform its millions of users into a working business model.
Pinterest is a photo-sharing social network that allows people to create a virtual pinboard of things they have spotted on the web. The new funding is designed to help the company to work out a way of making revenues, with Pinterest believed to be ready to test ways to turn its huge traffic into sales. [The Times]
Newer news items:
- Barclays plc : Evolution not revolution - Nomura see 'a long journey against new regulation' ref. LON:BARC NYSE:BCS - 07/02/2013 13:17
- VODAFONE GROUP PLC : Service revenue trends weak but not as bad as some had feared - ref. LON:VOD - 07/02/2013 12:57
- easyJet plc preferred to Ryanair Holdings Plc at Nomura on positive share price momentum ref. LON:RYA + LON:EZJ - 07/02/2013 12:46
- Tesco Plc: Leahy comments branded as 'medieval' by small business organisation - 07/02/2013 12:08
- Brokers: Barclays plc + Royal Bank of Scotland Group target share price updates and Lloyds Banking Group agrees to swap review - 07/02/2013 10:02
Older news items:
- Australian dollar weakness could have a sting in its tail suggest UniCredit who suggest a rally could be imminent - 06/02/2013 15:30
- Dell Inc. on its way to open a new chapter in the IT industry ref. (NASDAQ:DELL) - 06/02/2013 14:59
- Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY): BlackBerry teams-up with Trend Micro to boost malware protection on 3rd party apps - 06/02/2013 13:08
- Facebook Inc (NASDAQ:FB): Technical signals show a deeper correction could be in the offing for FB - 06/02/2013 12:44
- Apple Inc. (NASDAQ:AAPL) pips Amazon.com, Inc.(NASDAQ:AMZN) from top spot as UK's most visible site for Brown Goods - 06/02/2013 12:18
Latest on The Economy News
- Heritage Oil PLC + XCITE ENERGY LIMITED: HOIL Updates on Tax Position, XEL Fails to Impress Investors Latest Update
- Thomas Cook Group plc: TCG Faces Conflicting Signals on the Charts
- Tech Alert on Gulf Keystone Petroleum Limited: For GKP "This bearish signal indicates that the stock price may fall"
- Imagination Technologies Group plc backed by Intel Corporation Backing: Why IMG is a Buy
- ARM Holdings plc vs Intel Corporation: Sell Rating on ARM Confirmed as INTC Launch XMM 7260
- HSBC Holdings plc: HSBA shows "little in the chart to suggest that a sudden push higher is imminent"
- Vodafone Group plc: VOD Outlook Adjusted to Factor in New Share Count