AstraZeneca plc + Taylor Wimpey plc : AZN and TW stock see differing fortunes in early trade as investors digest IMS
- Category: Share Price Drivers
- Published on Thursday, 25 April 2013 07:46
- Written by Will Peters
AstraZeneca plc (LON:AZN): Losses of Seroquel IR and Atacand bite
AstraZeneca plc (LON:AZN) shares are over a percent in the red at 3556 in early trader in London; investors have reacted to news that Q1 Results saw revenue down 12 pct to USD6.38bn at constant exchange rates.
Losses of exclusivity for Seroquel IR and Atacand in many markets plus Crestor in Canada the main reasons behind the fall.
Emerging markets revenue rose 9 pct at CER with core operating profits down 21% at CER to USD2.32bn.
AZN added that it continues to expect a mid-to-high single digit decline in revenue at CER and a core EPS fall significantly larger than the drop in revenue for the full year.
Taylor Wimpey plc (LON:TW): Shares boosted despite constrained mortgage lending environment
Taylor Wimpey plc (LON:TW) stock is 2.37 pct higher; TW has reached 96.45 by 8:35 in London as investors cheer the builder's Interim Management Statement (IMS).
The Taylor Wimpey IMS reports that it has made a 'strong start' to 2013 with sales at the upper end of expectations.
Taylor Wimpey noted an average private net reservation rate of 0.67 sales per outlet per week for the year to date which compared to 0.62 in the prior period last year, with the rise seen mainly in the last 8 weeks.
TW added that mortgage lending continues to act as its principal constraint but the value of its total order book now stands at GBP1.2bn, up 27% from the year end and ahead 18% compared to the same time last year.
Firm start for the FTSE 100 today
The FTSE 100 has opened firmer this morning - the bourse is half a percent higher at 6465.
"European markets opened prudently today as a string of disappointing corporate earnings from the likes of Procter & Gamble, AT&T as well as Apple continued to drag on investors’ sentiment," says Shavaz Dhalla at Spreadex.
In addition, downgrades regarding global growth as well as poor data from both China and America are clearly concerning investors.
"Thus, there seems to be disappointment from every door investors are opening now," says Dhalla.
The Spreadex trader notes that, despite this, once again, economists are playing the card which implies that poor data is not always a bad thing for the markets.
Many economists are pointing out that a short period of bad data may just encourage policy officials to maintain or even enhance current stimulus measures.
"However, investors need to remain on guard to such an argument, as accepting poor data because it can lead to more stimulus measures does not solve the problem in the long-term," says Dhalla.
Newer news items:
- QUALCOMM, Inc. (QCOM) shares in the red; "Weakness in either the top line or earnings progression is going to hit the stock disproportionately hard" - 25/04/2013 12:20
- Vodafone Group plc + Standard Life Plc: VOD and SL surge higher as fresh upgrades are issued by Deutsche Bank - 25/04/2013 12:04
- Barclays PLC + BG Group plc: BARC and BG see downgrades issued; BARC finds no love from Berenberg who sees share price halving - 25/04/2013 11:40
- British pound sterling surges on UK GDP numbers; HiFX forecasting 1.2 against the euro and 1.55 against the US dollar soon - 25/04/2013 09:52
- Tech Forecasts: Gulf Keystone Petroleum Limited + BP Plc : GKP and BP in volatile morning trade, both stocks forecast to come under pressure on a technical basis - 25/04/2013 09:18
Older news items:
- Unilever plc + British American Tobacco plc results see BATS and UVLR head off in opposite directions in early trade on FTSE 100 - 25/04/2013 07:42
- Lloyds Banking Group plc + Co-Op sale fails: Co-Op adding pressure to online offering says GMC Software Technology - 24/04/2013 12:45
- Standard Life plc : SL surges higher but "We see better value elsewhere" say Berenberg Bank who call a Sell on SL - 24/04/2013 11:17
- RSA Insurance Group plc : RSA is a Strong Buy with Jyske; RSA shares seen trading at discount to rivals - 24/04/2013 11:13
- International Business Machines Corp : IBM super robot to boost productivity in aerospace, oil & gas and shipping industries - 24/04/2013 10:24
Latest on The Economy News
- Heritage Oil PLC + XCITE ENERGY LIMITED: HOIL Updates on Tax Position, XEL Fails to Impress Investors Latest Update
- Thomas Cook Group plc: TCG Faces Conflicting Signals on the Charts
- Tech Alert on Gulf Keystone Petroleum Limited: For GKP "This bearish signal indicates that the stock price may fall"
- Imagination Technologies Group plc backed by Intel Corporation Backing: Why IMG is a Buy
- ARM Holdings plc vs Intel Corporation: Sell Rating on ARM Confirmed as INTC Launch XMM 7260
- HSBC Holdings plc: HSBA shows "little in the chart to suggest that a sudden push higher is imminent"
- Vodafone Group plc: VOD Outlook Adjusted to Factor in New Share Count