Manchester United PLC (NYSE:MANU) shares open 3 pct lower as speculators bet financial performance will falter on Ferguson departure
- Category: Share Price Drivers
- Published on Wednesday, 08 May 2013 14:16
- Written by Sam Coventry
MANU stock is 3 pct in the red at 18.18 in early trade in New York.
Spreadex - the spread betting company - report that they have witnessed frenzied activity from their clients in both their financial and sports markets in the wake of the announcement.
Shavaz Dhalla, Financial Trader at Spreadex, says:
"With David Moyes the favourite to take over from Ferguson, clients have been taking a bearish view on the news, shorting the stock on the New York Stock Exchange ahead of the US market open at 2.30pm.
"Since floating in August last year at $14, the share price has risen to highs of above $19 after United charged to the Premier League title and investors took comfort that the £24m signing of Robin van Persie had proved good business rather than a risk for an ageing, injury-prone player.
"However, Spreadex clients were this morning taking a view the stock would open below the $18.80 level on the open.
"In terms of who will replace Ferguson, Moyes has shortened from even money to 1/4 to be next permanent manager in our fixed odds prices with Jose Mourinho drifting from 6/4 to 15/4.
"We are quoting the length of reign of next United boss as between 32 and 36 months – a far cry from Ferguson’s current 318 month spell in charge.
"As for who will win the Premier League next season, we have United 13/8, Man City 15/8, Chelsea 7/2, Arsenal 16/1, Spurs 25/1, Liverpool 25/1."
Manchester United need continuity says HR guru
Birgit Schyns, Professor in Organisational Behaviour at Durham University Business School and expert in leadership in football management, comments on the changes at MANU:
"Manchester United does not need radical change. They need continuity. It is a model that has worked well for them, and indeed generally works for football clubs, contrary to the current practice of hiring and firing.
"However, football management is an undefined role and over time managers gain more influence and experience in their clubs with often broad briefs. The club is unlikely to immediately trust someone new with all the tasks Ferguson has performed for the club. They might need more internal changes and review other structures to cope successfully with the managerial change."
Financial advisers report growing confidence in global economy
The confidence of financial advisers in the global economy increased for the third quarter in a row to an average of 6 out of 10 during Q1 2013, according to the international adviser confidence barometer conducted by Skandia.
This rise in confidence (from 5.8 at the end 2012) has been reflected across the majority of regions surveyed.
In particular financial advisers operating in the UAE are highly optimistic, reporting a score of 7.1 out of ten. This is a significant increase on the level reported in Q4 2012 of 6 out of 10.
In contrast to the generally positive outlook Singaporean advisers were the only region to report a decrease in confidence towards the global economy, from 6 out of 10 at Q4 to 5.7 now.
This is particularly surprising as they have shifted from being the most confident at the last survey (joint with the UAE) to the least this time.
Buy Standard Chartered urge brokers
Investec recommended a ‘buy’ rating on Standard Chartered today saying a weakness in the company’s stock should be seen as an opportunity.
"To start with the positives, fiscal year 2013 consensus of $8.2bn [versus $6.9bn in 2012] is reaffirmed, albeit this will implicitly be driven by a slower level of revenue growth, supported by tightly controlled costs, with upward normalisation of impairments confined to the consumer bank," the broker said.
Newer news items:
- Facebook Inc (FB) vs Google Inc (GOOG) in our digital life: "The final verdict on Facebook Home was brutally handed down yesterday" - 09/05/2013 13:23
- Lloyds Banking Group plc and Barclays plc technicals : LLOY RSI suggests stock overbought, BARC shares tipped to break lower - 09/05/2013 10:46
- G4S plc : GFS shares a Sell with Espirito Santo Execution Noble, target share price downgraded - 09/05/2013 08:14
- BG Group Plc + HSBC Holdings Plc: BG and HSBA see Deutsche Bank and JP Morgan Cazenove bump up estimates - 09/05/2013 08:11
- Standard Chartered Plc : STAN shares are a Buy with Investec - use dip as a buying opportunity investors told - 08/05/2013 14:24
Older news items:
- British pound sterling breaks through 1.18 versus euro as German IP data and tight peripheral spreads prompt euro buying - 08/05/2013 13:59
- Overnight results: Electronic Arts Inc. + Lamar Advertising Co tipped to open higher after announcing market-beating results - 08/05/2013 13:29
- Snap: Discovery Communications Inc. + Frontier Communications Corp see investors dump their holdings - 08/05/2013 13:17
- The big movers: Fossil Inc + First Solar, Inc. + Cimarex Energy Co tipped to see further interest after yesterday's action - 08/05/2013 13:03
- Gold prices looking heavy once more as recent bounce runs out of steam; investors flock to equities - 08/05/2013 10:53
Latest on The Economy News
- Heritage Oil PLC + XCITE ENERGY LIMITED: HOIL Updates on Tax Position, XEL Fails to Impress Investors Latest Update
- Thomas Cook Group plc: TCG Faces Conflicting Signals on the Charts
- Tech Alert on Gulf Keystone Petroleum Limited: For GKP "This bearish signal indicates that the stock price may fall"
- Imagination Technologies Group plc backed by Intel Corporation Backing: Why IMG is a Buy
- ARM Holdings plc vs Intel Corporation: Sell Rating on ARM Confirmed as INTC Launch XMM 7260
- HSBC Holdings plc: HSBA shows "little in the chart to suggest that a sudden push higher is imminent"
- Vodafone Group plc: VOD Outlook Adjusted to Factor in New Share Count